I’m writing to you tonight to let you know that we have made the proactive decision to close schools tomorrow, Monday August 21, due to concerns with the impact of Tropical Storm Hilary.
With the heart of the storm still on its way, it is not possible for us to know with certainty whether we will be dealing with significant storm related issues tomorrow morning. With this decision, we are joining other school districts, including Castaic Union School District, Newhall School District, Saugus Union School District, Sulphur Springs Union School District, and LAUSD to use the day to assess our facilities, and to plan for a safe return to instruction on Tuesday, August 22.
We have delayed making this decision knowing how important it is for students to be in school. However, we have concerns about staff members needing to commute into the valley during unsafe travel conditions. We also have to consider the safety of our students as they make their way to and from school in these unique weather conditions. In our initial survey of our facilities, we have found examples of water intrusions that may need time to address. We are also concerned about the prospect of electrical outages that would impact our ability to safely conduct business as usual.
I share this news with the full understanding that school closures have impacts on families. While I deeply regret the challenges this late notification may cause, I trust that you understand that this decision places the safety of our students and staff as the top priority.
Certificated and classified staff are to remain home tomorrow unless notified by their supervisor.
Stay safe and dry tonight and tomorrow. We look forward to the resumption of classes on Tuesday.